Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Strawberry-Lime Cupcakes

My niece suggested we try this recipe. As soon as I saw it, I knew I had to try it out and I am so glad I did. These were soo delicious. The lime cupcake was good by itself but when the strawberry was added, oh my--I was in heaven. I adapted the recipe a little bit because I didn't like some of the reviews for the original recipe so this is a combination of the food network recipe with a recipe off of Allrecipes. Also feel free to make lemon cupcakes by replacing all things lime with all things lemon.

Ingredients:
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
2 tsp lime zest
1 tsp vanilla
3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups sour cream
Strawberries

Frosting:
3 Tbsp butter, softened
4 oz cream cheese, softened
2 1/4 cups powdered sugar
2 Tbsp lime juice
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp lime zest
1 Tbsp milk

Directions:
In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add lime peel and vanilla; mix well. Combine dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream (batter will be thick). Fill greased or paper lined muffin cups with 1/4 of batter. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely. For frosting, cream butter, cream cheese and sugar in a small mixing bowl. Add lime juice, vanilla, lime peel and milk; beat until smooth.

To assemble: Cut and remove a strawberry (coned) shape portion of cupcake from the top of each cupcake, leaving abotu 1/2 to 1 inch of cake in the bottom. Stuff each cake with a strawberry and cover with a little piece of cake. Frost.
Related Posts with Thumbnails