Thursday, February 11, 2010

Staff of Life Whole Wheat Bread

I got this recipe from my mom. I like that it completely uses whole wheat flour. This has got to be as healthy as bread gets--not one bit of refined flour or sugar. Plus I've been using my new wheat grinder to grind the wheat flour myself.

Ingredients:
3 cups hot water
1/4 cup olive or canola oil
1/4 cup of honey or sugar (I always use honey)
1 T instant yeast
2-2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (to start with, add more later--maybe 4 more cups)
1/2 T salt
optional ingredients:
1 T dough enhancer*
1/4 cup vital wheat gluten

Directions:
Put water, oil, honey , and yeast in a bowl. Add 2-2 1/2 cups of flour and (opt. 1/4 cup vital wheat gluten) and mix to a paste. Add salt and additional flour until dough forms a ball around the dough hook and sides of bowl are clean. Knead for 7 minutes. (Optional: add dough enhancer after the 7 minutes of kneading and knead for another minute until mixed in). Place dough on oiled counter. Divide into two equal pieces and shape into loaves. Place in greased bread pans. Cover with plastic wrap. Let rise until double in bulk, about 45 minutes. Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Place bread in oven, turn heat down to 350 degrees, and bake for 35 minutes. Remove from pans and let cool on wire racks.

*dough enhancer---I couldn't find any in my local stores for some reason so here is recipe for that in case it's needed:
1 cup Lecithin granules (find at a vitamin store)
1 Tbsp vitamin C powder
1 tsp ground ginger
Mix ingredients together and store in tightly closed glass jar.
Related Posts with Thumbnails