Friday, February 26, 2010

Thai Chicken Curry

This is another one of my favorites from On My Menu . It is so so good. I don't like coconut so I was surprised I liked this but the curry flavor overpowers any coconut flavor. I've made it both with the red curry paste and using the substitution and they are equally good.
Ingredients:
2 large chicken breasts
1 13.5oz can coconut milk
1 medium yellow onion, cut into wide slices
1 medium tomato, cut into thick 1 inch pieces
1 bunch asparagus or green beans, ends cut off and then cut into thirds (I used green beans)
1 1/2 Tbsp Thai red curry paste *
1-2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
Optional:
pineapple
1 tsp sugar
1/4 cup water
*Instead of curry paste: 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, 1 tsp curry powder, 1 tsp chili powder, 1/4 tsp cayenne.

Directions:
Cut chicken into thin strips. Season with curry and broil on low, DO NOT overcook as it will simmer later. Heat vegetable oil in a large pan. Saute onions first, add asparagus/beans, then add tomatoes. Add the following ingredients one at a time and taste it as you go: curry paste, coconut milk, curry powder, salt, pepper, chicken. Simmer and taste and re-season until you can't wait anymore. Serve with steamed rice.
Related Posts with Thumbnails