Friday, May 7, 2010

Southwestern Chicken Lasagna

I get daily emails from Allrecipes.com with new recipes. Most of the time they aren't recipes that interest me but this one looked really good and I had a jar of spaghetti sauce already opened in my fridge that I needed to use up. Shane and I both really liked it. As I was eating it I kept thinking this has a familiar flavor--then I realized it was the spaghetti sauce. It really is a combination of lasagna and enchiladas. I kept thinking it should taste like enchiladas but it really had a lot of lasagna-ness about it--which I guess is how it should be since it's a variety of lasagna!

Ingredients:
3 cups shredded, cooked chicken breast meat (I used canned chicken)
2 Tbsp butter
2 large onions
1 jalapeno, chopped
2 Tbsp minced garlic
2 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
2 cups spaghetti sauce
2 cups tomato sauce
1/2 cup fresh salsa
16 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
16 oz shredded cheddar cheese
15 (6inch) corn tortillas

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350. In large skillet brown chicken in butter. Add onions, jalapeno, garlic, basil, and oregano. Then add the spaghetti sauce, tomato sauce and salsa. Stir all together. Cover skillet and simmer for 10 minutes over low heat.
In lightly greased 9x13 pan, place a layer of tortillas, then a layer of the chicken/sauce mixture, then a layer of mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers twice, then top casserole with cheddar cheese and sliced olives. Bake in oven for 35 minutes, until cheese is bubbly.
Related Posts with Thumbnails