Sunday, May 2, 2010

Strawberry Pie

I was introduced to strawberry pie by my mother-in-law. It is so delicious. For some reason I don't have a copy of her recipe so this is my best attempt to copy it using other recipes. I don't make my own pie crusts--I'm lazy that way, so this is just store bought. If you make your own, like my mother-in-law, the pie will be even more delicious. Next time I will mix the strawberries with the thickened pureed strawberry mixture before adding it to the pie crust. I think it will be less messy and prettier that way.
Ingredients:
Pie crust--ready made or make your own
3 oz cream cheese, softened
4 cups strawberries (I'm guessing--enough to fill a pie shell and then to make the glaze)
1 cup white sugar
3 Tbsp cornstarch
3/4 cup water
Cool Whip
Directions:
Bake pie crust as directed. For me--preheat oven to 425. Poke holes in bottom of crust with fork and bake on top of a cookie sheet for 10 minutes. Take pie crust out and let cool.
After pie crust has cooled spread cream cheese on the bottom of the cooked pie crust. Arrange 2 cups of strawberries on top of the cream cheese in the baked pie crust. You want it to fill up the pie so more or less depending on how many it takes to fill it up. Take the other strawberries and puree them to make about 1 1/2 cups. Add the sugar to the pureed berries in a medium saucepan. Place saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring frequently. In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and water. Gradually stir cornstarch mixture into boiling strawberry mixture. Reduce heat and simmer mixture until thickened, stirring constantly. Pour mixture over berries in pastry shell. Chill for several hours before serving. Serve with cool whip.
Related Posts with Thumbnails