Saturday, May 29, 2010

Tamale Bake

This recipe comes from my mom. This was a regular item on our menu when I was a kid. It was also one of my favorite meals. My family can't eat an entire recipe of this and since they don't eat leftovers I make two smaller ones in 8x8 square pans and freeze one for a future meal. I love having an extra casserole in my freezer for those days I don't feel like cooking and this is a painless way to make that happen.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 lb ground beef
1 cup onions, chopped
1/4 tsp powdered garlic (or a clove of fresh garlic)
1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
1 1/2 cup tomatoes (1 can diced tomatoes)
1 can whole kernel corn
1 tsp salt
1/2 Tbsp chili powder
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup corn meal
1 cup water
1 can pitted ripe olives, drained
1 1/2 cup milk
1 tsp salt
2 T butter
1/2 cup corn meal
1 cup cheese, grated
2 eggs, lightly beaten

Directions:
Brown ground beef; add onions, garlic, and green peppers; cook stirring until onions are golden. Stir in tomatoes, corn, 1 tsp salt, chili powder and pepper; simmer 5 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup corn meal mixed with water, cover and simmer 10 minutes. Add olives; turn into 3 qt casserole (or 2 8x8 pans)
Meanwhile, heat milk with 1 tsp salt and butter; slowly stir in 1/2 cup corn meal; cook stirring until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in cheese and eggs; pour over meat mixture. Bake at 375 for about 30 minutes.
Related Posts with Thumbnails